Saturday, October 2, 2010

What to do when you have nothing to do (PHYSICS!)

This week, my blog post is about Newton's first law: An object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside net force.

So here I have two videos, one with me rapidly pulling out a paper from under an "I Love Guam" cup and another (the second video) with my mom pulling out the paper.

These two videos demonstrate Newton's first law! The cup and paper are both at rest on the chair. When I pull the paper out from under the cup, I exert an outside net force on the paper, whereas the cup (theoretically) has no outside net force acting upon it. The cup virtually stays in the same spot. It only moves a very very very tiny bit, maybe like 2 millimeters because friction from the paper on the cup affected the cup's motion. But the general idea of Newton's first law is in the video XD.

As an extra bonus XD I had my mom try the same thing! So here's a video of my mom pulling the paper out from under the cup.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment