Saturday, October 2, 2010

Physics in the Bathroom Part #1: Newton in my bathroom

As promised, here is a post about physics in the bathroom! Newton's first law not only exists in my living room (see previous post), but it also applies to things in my bathroom!!!! Ok so anyways. Here's a short clip about my experiences with Newton in the bathroom. I used my ninja skills and a bit of Newton's powerz to rip a single square of toilet paper off the roll.

NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT AT HOME! FAILURE TO RIP TOILET PAPER WILL RESULT IN OVERFLOWING TOILET PAPER ON FLOOR. ATTEMPT AT YOUR OWN RISK!

So, as I said in my previous post, Newton's first law of motion is: An object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside net force. In this video, we see that my hand (the outside net force) acts on a SINGLE square of the toilet paper role. Because my lightning fast reflexes, daring mobility, and my knowledge of Newton's first law, I was able to rip the toilet paper square out of the roll.

I only exerted force on the single square, so all those other squares in the toilet paper roll remained at rest (proven by Newton's Law.) Those other squares had no outside net force acting upon them therefore they didn't move.

~Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. HAHA you would make this your blog post. so many unique talents (like your leg music and cheek music haha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Brian, no need to be so cocky. Making Naruto your background too...seriously. I'm pretty sure Newton is doing all the work here despite your "ninja skills". Hahaha nice blog though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice skills! Its amazing how physics can occur in the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice naruto background. Good job on mastering that trick too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. BChen, you pro toilet paper ripper. Good job attempting the example we went over in class :P

    ReplyDelete