Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Never Ending Snow Globe

Snow globes are pretty neat. Yeah, I might be a bit immature to still be having one, but hey, they do have some relation to physics! Every time I shake a snow globe, I always feel this inevitable disappointment that all the little confetti (or whatever is inside the little ball) comes to a rest on the bottom. Wouldn't it be super fun to have a snow globe that keeps on running? Bleh, well blame it on gravity. Since gravity is in fact -9.8 m/s^2, the little confetti like objects in the snow globe have to fall till they hit the bottom. Well technically the little objects don't fall at the same acceleration (I think...) since the drag of water is affecting its fall. Of course, since I did not learn anything about this, I won't get into it :P. But anyways. If I happened to have a snow globe while somehow floating in space, I'd probably be able to get the confetti to keep on floating without falling! They wouldn't be able to fall because there's no gravity, unless of course I somehow drift towards another planet. :P Yes I just wrote a blog post about snow globes AND related it to physics.

1 comment:

  1. Good entry, liked the other one that didnt relate to kinematics, good thing you changed it! Amazing that you could relate a snow globe and physics, good job

    ReplyDelete