Monday, January 31, 2011

Don't try this at home

This chapter, we are learning about electrons jumping from one object to another. We excess charge can occur if an object isn't grounded. In the case of an outlet, when the outlet gives electricity to the plug of an object and the plug is taken out while the outlet is still giving electricity, an excess charge is created. Some plugs have a third prong which grounds the plug, neutralizing the excess charge. Most conventional, lower powered household items don't have the third prong, therefore the excess charge will form. in this video, my iron is plugged into the wall. As electricity flows through it, I pull out the plug, creating a visible excess charge of electrons in the form of a spark. I performed this in the dark so it would be easier to see the electrons jumping from the wall to the plug. Here is also a picture of what the outlet looks like in the light.

8 comments:

  1. I think there is a typo in the second sentence.
    Anyway nice blog, very cool and dangerous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. I like how you did it in the dark so that the sparks are easier to see. I'm always scared when I unplug things because I don't like to see that spark.haha. Lame yeah? Anyway, nice video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this blog is really good! dangerous stuff going on in that video haha good job job brian :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, there is a typo, cool video though, i always see the spark when I plug/unplug stuff also

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian, your last sentence does not justify why you did this at home...Haha interesting post though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you tell people not to do this at home, but you did it at home :P Cool example!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is super cool! Of course you would be the one to try this at home...

    ReplyDelete